Monday, March 5, 2012

Book Review: The Autism Sourcebook

Book Review:
The book that I will be reviewing is: The Autism Sourcebook by Karen Siff Exkorn
                The author of this book has an Autistic son. She wrote the book out of frustration with the way the Autism research was being presented. When she tried to find answers to simple questions about the disorder she was met with an overabundance of research. This research was great, just not understandable for the common parent with no prior knowledge of Autism. I myself ran into this issue, it was so frightening and you had no idea what was creditable and what was bunk. While educating herself on her son’s condition she earned masters and is a frequent lecturer on autism at major Universities. Even with these lofty credentials what drew me to this book was the simplicity and true concern form the author. I believe it shows in the writing that she knows personally what it is to raise a child with Autism.
            The book covers: Diagnosis, Treatment, Coping and Healing. There is no one answer to autism since every situation and child is different. The author recognizes this and shows many different paths available to the lost parent. Also she uses stories from different families across the U.S. so you can see where you align with other parents. This book walks you through step by step your path (whichever one you chose) to finding the answers to Autism questions. Getting diagnosis from more than a pediatrician, what is an IEP, early intervention, and ABA (applied behavior analysis) are just a few topics and answers covered. I love how she uses actual questions from real parents about issues with Autism. She uses these questions to address differing topics. This book aligns with all of the research I have done on Autism. This includes peer reviewed articles and doctor information. She has appendixes for everything covered in the book like autism checklist (I used this one, even though I already had a diagnosis), descriptions of the 5 different pervasive development disorders, treatments and interventions that exist, and finally organizations that deal with autism and their contact information.
            I love, love, love this book. She makes it personal while giving top of the line advice and methods. She doesn’t assume her way is best and gives differing options. I recommend this book to any parent with an autistic child, also to a new parent suspecting autism in their toddler. I feel that this book should be given out when doctors give the final Autism diagnosis, it would reduce stress and fear in parents. Now go read it, you don’t want to miss out on all these answers.
-Crystal-

Source: Exkorn, K. S. (2005). The Autism Sourcebook. New York: HarperCollins.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendation of this book. I will be making note of the title where I too can recommend it when the need arises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound likes a great book on autism. I have a friend whose daughter was recently diagnosed with autism. I will be sure to recommend this book to her.
    -Laura Hubbell

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like a great book! Also another book that I'd suggest reading is "Folowing Ezra" by Tow Fields-Meyer, I work at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) as a pre-school teacher and our program is having a panel discussion with Sam Goldstein, Ph.D., Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Attention Disorders, Doug Goldsmith, Ph.D., Executive Director of The Children's Center and Pete Nicholas, Ph.D., Director for Carmen B. Pingree, Center for Children with Autism at 7:00 pm. You are more then welcome to use this information and post to your blog :-) Let me know if you have any on this.
    Chelsey

    ReplyDelete