Saturday, March 24, 2012

Play Therapy


Hello readers, thanks for taking your time on our blog- children are so great.  This is Michelle and I want to share some information about a book that I read recently.
Any child who has been taken out of their home and placed with a new family has experienced a “crisis”.  Leaving a home, a family, a neighborhood, a school is a hard experience for a child even when it is in their best interest- and a child who is taken out of their home has probably also experienced neglect or abuse.  Because of this, almost all foster parents are expected to take their child to counseling.
  One method of counseling that has been extremely helpful for young children has been “Play Therapy”, a therapy where the therapist or counselor engages in different methods of play (painting, puppets, sandbox, etc.) to help the child to express feelings and work through hard experiences.  When adults go for counseling, the therapist can usually learn about their needs by talking with them, but children are less willing (and cognitively able) to explain what they went through.  I’d heard that play therapy was excellent but didn’t know a lot about it, so I went to the library.
At the library I checked out Play Therapy with Children in Crisis: Individual, Group, and Family Treatment.  The first part of the book gives a “theoretical overview”.  So it talks about what is a crisis, what is play therapy, and how play therapy can be effective.  The rest of the book looks at general themes and specific case studies of children in crisis.  The book covers a lot of different kinds of crisis experiences, but the chapters are broken up in such a way that you can hone in on what’s relevant for you.  For example, a few of the chapters that seem especially relevant for foster parents are:
            
            Child Exposure to Parental Violence
            Parental Abuse and Subsequent Foster Home Placement
Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Child Sexual Abuse and Exposure to Domestic Violence.

This book is primarily written for therapists and students, so it isn’t a “how to” book for foster parents, but it’s full of great information based on a lot of research. I would recommend this book to foster parents because:
1.     It can teach you a little more about why your child benefits from going to counseling and why they do some of the activities that they do
2.     It can encourage you to actively work with the counselor to stay aware of needs and better meet the needs of your child
3.     It can help deepen your understanding for what your child has experienced.


I think it’s this last point that really matters.  I’m amazed at how understanding can help increase our patience and love.  I’m also afraid that some potential foster parents get nervous when a child needs counseling but it really is excellent that we live in a time when we’ve found a way to help these young children open up and work through their experiences.
Let me know if you have any questions or stories where you've interacted with play therapy before. Thanks for reading!

Webb, N.B. (2007). Play therapy with children in crisis: Individual, group, and family treatment. (3rd ed.).  New York, NY: The Guilford Press.

9 comments:

  1. Your book review reignited my interest in using play therapy. I think when we want to help people, we can get too serious and make the person feel even more different and strange. Play can take the pressure off and help people relax and open up and grow.
    It makes me think of a documentary called "Wild Child", about a young girl who had been locked in a closet for the first years of her life. Researchers were very interested in studying her progress, but concluded there was nothing special they could learn from her. She developed as an infant would develop, but very slowly.
    She was put in a foster home where the foster parents let her play and run around their fenced yard like a wild child. She began to show expressions of joy and her development began to accelerate. I am glad researchers are using play therapy to help children in crisis, and not treat them only as objects of study.
    Thank you for reminding me of this principle of play. I can get so serious with all my school work (a kind of crisis) that I don't want to play. I need to remind myself that this is one of the best ways to reconnect with my family.
    Thanks, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book review on Play Therapy is very informational, I think it is a good benefit for those who have suffered from a crisis. Playing gives them a time to relax and role play in a non threating environment. Talking about a situation and learning a more positive way of child rearing not only helps the child but society as a whole. Thanks for your post I want to read more about Play therapy after reading your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this was a very great book to review. I think the information was really good. I think that the children who have been exposed to these types of situations do have a hard time and it is good to see that by doing something as simple as playing will help them. I agree with Maggie about how play puts them in a non threatening environment which is what they need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job on this book review and I feel very well informed. I love play therapy and I think it has a hugely positive effect on both parents and children. Another great therapy is music therapy. I would take a look at that especially for children with special needs. I have seen the effects of both play and music therapy and they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is excellent, I'll try and research music therapy and see if it's used often with children who have special needs. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this book review.
    Play therapy is something I have heard a little about and seen some of it on television. I have always been very interested in this form of therapy. Thank you for pointing out a book to turn to and for reviewing it.
    I agree with you that if anything can deepen your understanding of what your child has experienced, it is something we should take advantage of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl R made the Up All Night comment "Your book review reignited my interest..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work at a domestic violence shelter and a lot of the kids that come stay at our shelter have been victims of domestic violence. Luckily, our shelter provides in-house counseling and they incorporate play therapy. When children first enter the shelter they are shy, withdrawn, aggressive, etc. but when they leave the shelter its amazing to see how their personalities change and how happy, social, and trusting they become towards everyone at the shelter. I think it would be a great idea to recommend this to our children's advocates and maybe even require them to read it as part of their training.
    -Liz T

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for this review! Did the book talk about therapists including art therapy as a play therapy technique? I wasn't sure if there was any overlap or not. There definitely seems to be a stigma with "therapy" in general. I think posts like this are helpful because it helps people to be less afraid, or hesitant to seek these wonderful tools! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete